We are relying on electricity more and more for our well-being and prosperity, and utilities are expected to expand and enhance services to meet the needs of their users. Individuals are calling on utilities to improve the reliability of their services while reducing their carbon footprint, and governments are demanding more responsive market structures and choices for ratepayers.
Combined with rising costs, these pressures are forcing utilities to use new technologies in innovative ways to improve service levels in all areas, and to accommodate new demands, like electric vehicle charging within existing infrastructure. Electricity must be cheaper, more reliable, and more available than ever before.
Implementing a smart grid requires vision, and the selection of capabilities that will serve a utility for many years. Utilities must build a SmartGrid from the ground up using a strong IP broadband network for several reasons:
- The SmartGrid architecture must be robust enough to address all utility requirements, not just AMI
- The operations centre needs to incorporate new technology that allows it to operate in real-time to manage the grid effectively
- Regulators expect a business case that reduces rates and a SmartGrid that will pay for itself
- The SmartGrid is ubiquitous and stretches from the generating station to customers
SmartGrid technology must be as fast, flexible, and effective as our existing computer networks.
SmartGrid Connect is a real-time broadband SmartGrid system that collects data and administers the communications network to maintain optimal performance. SmartGrid Connect collects device information and uses it to provide insights that are unattainable with narrow band communication. It also includes applications that support meters, electric vehicles, and more.
SmartGrid Connect is engineered to support full-fledged SmartGrid applications well beyond AMI.
SmartGrid Connect provides:
- One product for all a utilities SmartGrid needs
- Scalability from a single transformer to a multi-million point network
- Bandwidth for AMI and Grid Management
- Easy integration with market ready MDMs, ESBs
- A holistic product for a utility NOC
- A proven solution
Narrow band networks can be proprietary and ‘run out of steam’ in a hurry. SmartGrid Connect supports a utility’s SmartGrid roadmap by providing:
- A single integrated and shared IP Network
- Real-time data transfer for mission critical systems
- Significant capacity beyond smart meter requirements
- High speeds of 30-50 Mbps
- High security – AES 128
- A common framework for cyber security/control/physical architectures
SmartGrid Connect enables simple and cost effective deployment and integration of utility applications and end devices, and supports cutting edge features such as:
- TOU Rates
- Outage Detection
- Energy Management Services
- Demand Response
- Load Shedding
- Theft Detection
- Reliable, Low Cost Protection
- Microgrid Control
Building a SmartGrid using Broadband over Powerline allows utilities to digitize their network in environments hostile to wireless communications. A Corinex SmartGrid uses the utility's own infrastructure, eliminating the cost of building and maintaining a redundant communications network. Existing field crews can keep the network running smoothly.
As an added bonus, utilities can demonstrate the green benefits of creating their network using existing infrastructure. The greenhouse gases saved during the creation and operation of the network qualify for carbon credits, showing rate payers that a Corinex SmartGrid is a sound financial and environmental decision.
Smart Grid Connect is a last mile solution that will go the distance for integrated utility applications. In the field, Smart Grid Connect has delivered high performance and impressed the most skeptical network operators:
A robust Broadband over Powerline connection provides the kind of response times and data transfer rates we have come to expect from computer networks.
Additionally, a BPL network can handle growing network traffic with a price/performance ratio which is second to none.
Leveraging SmartGrid Connect will save time and money by avoiding a patchwork quilt of less robust networks, and will provide the performance needed to manage a growing grid.
Smart Grid Connect provides the foundations of a robust, modern smart grid:
- A single, integrated IP network
- A complete set of software tools to create and manage a self-healing network
- Longevity to deliver a full blueprint for a SmartGrid over the next decade
- Maximum value for network dollars
- A Proven solution that makes sense to utilities and customers